Join members of Target’s Supplier Diversity team as they provide details of their team’s mission at Target and share an overview of what certification is and why it is important for diverse-owned companies to consider investing in. Here are the main takeaways on why certifications are important to your business:
A certification is a review process designed to ensure that a small business is actually owned, controlled, and operated by the applicants.
Why should you get Certified?
Certifications do not only guarantee success or awarded business; it can also be a powerful tool in your tool box.
- Certification is preferred or required by many major retailers and other corporations
- Certification can help provide more exposure to potential partners and clients
- Networking and access to major corporations and other entities Continuing education
- Financial services through certifying bodies or affiliates
- Capacity development
- Mentorship and leadership training
What certifications are out there?
There are many certifications you can receive for your business; however the following certifications are national memberships and recognized by Target:
I’m certified, what’s next?
Here are a couple of steps the team advises you take once you’ve received any business certification:
- Show it off! Quite literally, update your website and social platforms with your certification information in a place that is easily seen. In addition, this is a great time to update any other collateral and packaging with a nod to ownership.
- Share with your contacts: share with your client base that you’ve received your certification and update any and all portals for potential clients.
- Get out there Participate in diversity fairs and networking events. This is also a chance or you to explore new and potential partnerships with other diverse businesses.
Interested in a Target Accelerator program? Visit our program page to learn more.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQs for more information.
Want to get more resources and application help information straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter here.
Want to get alerts about when an application is open. Sign up for alerts here.