Applying for any accelerator program can be nerve-wracking, especially if it is your first time. We want you to put your best foot forward! Mastering the art of submitting an accurate, thorough, and compelling application is often overlooked by applicants; it’s your first impression for the program team!
That’s why our team has rounded up tips and key definitions to help you submit a successful application.
Tip #1: Make sure your company meets the program qualifications.
Not sure about which program fits your brand best? Be sure to review the qualifications of each program carefully before deciding which to apply for. Take a step back and think: Does your company fit the industry or product category the program requires? Can you participate fully in the program? Can you clearly communicate what value you are hoping to get out of the program? Does your product fit into any of the categories below?
- Apparel and Accessories: Jewelry, Kids Clothing, Men Clothing, Shoes, Teens Clothing, Women Clothing, Other Accessories
- Baby and Toddler: Bath and Potty, Car Seats, Clothing, Diapers, Gear and Activities, Health and Safety, Nursery, Nursing and Feeding, Shoes, Strollers, Toys, Other
- Beauty and Personal Care: Bath and Body, Cotton Balls, Pads and Swabs, Deodorant and Antiperspirant, Eye Care, Feminine Products, Foot Care, Fragrances, Hair Accessories, Hair Care, Hair Color, Hair Removal and Shave, Hand Soap and Sanitizer, Hair Tools, Incontinence, Makeup, Men’s Grooming, Nails, Oral Care, Personal Care, Skin Care, Spa and Massage, Sun Care and Tanning, Tools, Other
- Entertainment: Board Games, Books, Electronics, Movies, Music, Sports and Outdoors, Toys, Travel, Video Games, Other
- Food and Beverage: Adult Beverages, Bakery, Beverages, Candy, Dairy, Dry/Pantry, Fresh/Produce, Frozen, Meat, Meat Alternatives, Seafood, Bar or Drink Mixers, Snacks, Other
- Home: Arts, Crafts, and Sewing, Bath, Bedding, Candles, Furniture, Heating, Cooling, and Air Quality, Home Appliances, Home Decor, Kids’ Home, Kitchen and Dining, Mattresses, Office Stationary, Rugs, Smart Home, Storage and Organization, Throw Pillows, Vacuums and Floor Cleaning, Window Treatments, Other
- Household Essentials: Air Fresheners, Cleaning Supplies, Dish Detergents, Food Storage Bags and Containers, Hand Soap and Sanitizers, Insect and Pest Control, Laundry Care, Paper and Plastic Products, Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Trash Bags, Other
- Pets: Beds and Furniture, Food/Treats, Supplies, Technology, Toys, Healthcare/Supplements, Other
- Other: don’t see your category listed. Email us at email@example.com to see if your company is eligible
If the answer to any of these is no, then you might not be ready. Visit our Programs page to learn more about each of the Target Accelerators programs, other criteria, and important upcoming dates.
Tip #2: Be clear about your company and product.
Our team uses the responses in your application to determine if your company aligns with our program offerings and objectives. Be clear in your company’s purpose, the problem you address, and the solution your products provide. Also, it is tempting to select many or all options on questions asking about your business, but that can be a disadvantage based on the program criteria. We are not looking for “perfect” answers but honest answers to ensure a great experience. If you’re not sure what a question is asking, check out commonly used retail language below.
Tip #3: Proofread your application!
The review panel can only judge your application by what you include in it so it is important to make sure that what you are trying to communicate clearly comes through in your application before you hit the submit button:
- Ensure all links you provide actually work! This includes everything from your website, Instagram handle, etc.
- For the essay questions, ensure that you are completely answering the question that is asked and that your answer is thorough and you have double-checked your spelling. If you are providing one-word responses, you may want to go back and add more context.
- Have a friend, partner, or family member read through your application to see if someone that is not as close to the work understands what you are trying to communicate.
Tip #4: Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Take advantage of any opportunity to raise a question to the program you are applying for if you are ever unsure about what they are looking for – whether that be attending an informational webinar, office hours or even reaching out directly to a program contact. You don’t want to count yourself out of an opportunity just because you didn’t ask for help or clarity!
Interested in a Target Accelerator program? Visit our program page to learn more.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQs for more information.
Want to get more resources and application help information straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter here.
Want to get alerts about when an application is open. Sign up for alerts here.